You probably see flies all the time, particularly if you spend time outdoors. They are common pests when it comes to events like picnics and family reunions, buzzing around the food, landing on plates, and hovering around the garbage. Flies are fascinating creatures, but getting the facts about what they can do and their behavior is important in understanding why fly control is so crucial. While they are certainly not attractive and they can be a bother, there’s a wider concern when it comes to flies and their control: disease.
Fly diseases can range from the annoying to the deadly. A fly infestation could mean there is another problem on your property that is attracting them. Lady Killers Pest Control fly control professionals know how to identify the source of the infestation and remove it quickly.
The most common type of pest flies we encounter are house flies also known as filth flies. They are sometimes referred to as “filth flies” because they like to hover around and feed off of piles of garbage, dead animals or animal dung. That’s why house flies bring about health risks. They feed on filthy things and then get bacteria and other dangerous materials on their feet and legs. When they land on your food, they immediately spit saliva to dissolve part of the food in order to eat it and then defecate. So, if a fly lands on your hot dog, you shouldn’t eat it!
Lady Killers Pest Control knows how to get rid of house flies as well as their cousins, cluster flies. We look for the underlying source of the flies and why they are laying eggs in your home or business. Get rid of flies once and for all and prevent them from returning with a property inspection and fly treatment.
If you think that you have a house fly problem, then contact the fly control experts at Lady Killers Pest Control by calling Vicki (906) 202-0812 or Ang (920) 737-8349 or using the online form to schedule an appointment.
Flies are known to be the cause of illnesses such as:
- Typhoid – a contagious bacterial infection that can cause severe intestinal inflammation and become dangerous.
- Cholera – a potentially fatal bacterial disease that can cause dangerous intestinal problems.
- Dysentery – another potentially fatal intestinal infection that can lead to dehydration.
- Salmonella – also known as food poisoning, this can be transmitted via flies who land on garbage or contaminated food.
Do flies bite?
Some flies bite and some do not. Depending on what species you’re talking about, flies bite either for nourishment or to lay eggs.
- Black flies: Belonging to the family Simuliidae, black flies are typically black or brown and do bite humans and animals. Black fly bites hurt a lot and can take place on skin that’s exposed or beneath clothes. While itching is the most common symptom of black fly bites, some people bitten by black flies may encounter nausea and fever.
- No-see-ums: Around 1/16 inch in length, no-see-ums are capable of biting people and underneath clothing, causing welts to develop or red spots that itch a lot.
- Horse flies: Around ⅜ to 1 ⅛ inch in length with a body that’s blackish or gray, female horse flies need a blood meal in order to lay eggs. Horse fly bites can be painful that could cause lesions and feverish symptoms.
- Deer flies: Belonging to the same family as horse flies, female deer flies also bite, causing pain and itchiness.
How long do flies live?
Flies go through four life stages, which consist of eggs, larvae, pupae and adults. The exact length of a fly’s life will vary depending on the species, and it is also affected by conditions in the environment. Take a look at how long adults of few fly types live:
- house flies – typically 15 to 25 days
- blow flies – 2 to 8 weeks
- fruit flies – 40 to 50 days
Humidity and temperature both influence how long it takes a fly to develop – for instance, if the temperature and humidity are higher, an egg might hatch sooner. It can take from 6-45 days (or more) to grow from an egg to an adult.
How to get rid of flies
Flies are also usually a sign of something rotting around the home like too much garbage, drains that need cleaning or even dead animals inside walls.
Flies around your business presents the idea to the public that your establishment is unclean and can lead to a loss of business.
A fly infestation is hard to get rid of. Using chemicals without knowing what you’re doing can be dangerous and using fly strips leaves fly carcasses in full view. If left untreated, diseases such as E.Coli, Salmonella and Typhoid could affect the people living or working in your property as flies are known to transmit these diseases.
Some of the methods that have been offered as DIY fly control methods include:
- Soda Bottle Traps: this involves using an old soda bottle where the top is cut off and some kind of sweet liquid, such as simple sugar water, is put into the base. The two pieces are fit back together allowing flies access to the bottle and the sugary water, but unable to get back out again.
- Vinegar and Dish Soap: in this method a trap is created using a bowl that is then filled slightly with apple cider vinegar. Dish soap is added to the mixture and can either be covered with plastic wrap that has been punctured with holes or uncovered. Flies are attracted to the scent of the liquid and become trapped in the liquid.
- Herbs and plants: For fly problems occurring outside, numerous herbs and plants will supposedly help keep flies away. This includes basil, bay leaves, Nasturtiums, mint, lavender and more.
- Please Note: Lady Killers Pest Control does not endorse any of these as truly effective. Only a trained fly control specialist can really determine why flies are infesting your home, where they are breeding or laying eggs, how they are getting inside. You should always rely on a licensed professional to provide treatments to get rid of them and prevent a return infestation.
Fly control and fly prevention
Our professional fly control and prevention specialists take an integrated pest management approach to getting rid of flies. While we have techniques and treatments that will eliminate the fly infestation, it doesn’t do much good if you haven’t gotten rid of the reason they showed up in the first place. We know how to get rid of flies so that you can enjoy your home without the concern of removal. Whether you need outdoor fly control or indoor fly control, we have solutions for your property.
A Lady Killers Pest Control pest specialist will track down the reasons why the flies are in your home. Perhaps there is a garbage dumpster placed too close to the home. There might be an animal that got into your home and died, creating a breeding ground for flesh flies.
We’ll find the reason and remove the eggs, adults and breeding areas and seal up access points.